09 July 2011

Homemade Bread

At present I have 2 loaves of bread proving, they are almost ready to go into the oven. One wholemeal and one white. I am quite new to the whole process of bread making but am glad to say that with each loaf the final result seems to be getting better.

Thought I'd share the recipes I have been using from the good old Edmonds Cookbook, although halved and slightly modified.

Wholemeal Bread

4tsp Active Dried Yeast
1 1/2C Warm water
1 1/4tsp Sugar
2C Wholemeal Flour
2C White Flour
1tsp Salt

Method:
In a small bowl add water and dissolve sugar, add yeast and stir lightly. Leave until frothy (approx. 10min).
In a large bowl add remaining ingredients, stir to mix.
Make a well in the dry ingredients, add yeast mix.
Knead well until soft and pliable (approx 10min).
Spray a little oil around the bowl and over the dough to prevent sticking, and leave in a warm place to rise. It should double in size.
On a lightly floured surface knead lightly into desired shape and add to loaf tin (I also use my round cake tin). Leave again to double its size then bake for approx 30 min in a preheated 150 degree C fan forced oven.
Take out and enjoy!!!

White Bread

4tsp Active dried yeast
1tsp Sugar
300ml Water
4C White flour
1tsp salt

Method:
The method is the same as for the wholemeal loaf above.


At present I am only baking bread at the weekend, but hope to start doing it during the week as well. I am also looking to try/find recipes for other breads, namely a fruit bread, and possibly some pitas and tortillas etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment